I am ready for fall! Can you tell? I made a Violette Field Threads Amelia top out of this amazing pumpkin print bamboo spandex jersey from Natures Fabric. The Amelia is high low top, with lined bodice and optional ruffle trim. There is a cap, a short sleeve and a 3/4 ruffle sleeve.
The print and colors on this fabric are so good! Unfortunately I think they are sold out of it. My friend Hannah showed it to me and we decided to split the last 3 yards that were on the site. This was my first time using Bamboo spandex. It is so soft and lightweight. I wasn’t sure what I was going to make with it at first. I have a to-make pattern list that I look over whenever I have a fabric I don’t know what to do with. I thought since it’s not heavy, it would work well with the ruffles and the gathers on this pattern.
I only had a yard and a half which wasn’t enough for this pattern. I really needed another 1/2 yard. I bought a solid navy to line the bodice with. I also wanted a longer sleeve but this was as long as I could fit.
This pattern was pretty quick to make up. The bottom edge of the ruffle is left raw but gathering the ruffles and the skirt was the most time consuming part.
This top is really fun to wear. I just want to twirl and swish around the ruffles! It’s perfect over leggings and could be worn over skinny jeans, too. I’ll end up throwing a cardigan over it when it finally starts to get cold (It was 90 degrees when I took these photos). I really love this style and definitely see myself making more!
I LOVE this dress! When I saw the Tinsley dress by Violette Field Threads, I immediately purchased it. The Tinsley is a button front dress with sleeveless, short or flutter sleeve options, as well as 3 different lengths and 2 pocket options. I made mine with the flutter sleeve, knee and tie pocket. The dress style is so cute and I love how you can customize it. This is the second pattern I have made from Violette Field Threads. I discovered them in my local Joanns years ago. I bought and made a Piper dress. I also recently purchased the Amelia Top but haven’t had a chance to make it yet.
I’m so happy with the fit. I graded the pattern, making the waist a size larger that the bust and it worked beautifully. The bodice is fully lined which I like. I prefer linings instead of facings.
I never sewed pockets like these before. The pattern pieces look like bunny ears to me! The pockets are supposed to be fully lined but I didn’t have enough fabric and didn’t want to use a contrasting fabric. I managed to cut out the top portion of the pocket (The “ears and about an 1” under) to line with and it worked great! I just serged the bottom edge of the lining so it’s not raw.
The fabric is from A Beautiful Mess’s fabric line that I purchased from Fabric.com. The whole line of cottons is amazing but I immediately knew I had to get one of these floral fabrics. It comes in three different color ways and I had a hard time choosing. I ultimately went with this green with pops of pink and yellow. I am tempted to get the yellow color way too, though! I don’t love making garments with quilting weight cottons but the quality is really nice and I think it worked perfectly with this pattern. I had a hard time to deciding on buttons. I came across these pink buttons at a local shop but they didn’t have enough of the larger size so I bought a slighter smaller version for the bodice. I think it worked fine and it’s hardly even noticeable.
This is such a happy, summery dress and I will be wearing it a bunch this summer!