I know what I’m going to be wearing all summer! I love this dress so much. It’s the Eden Set that came with a Simply Sewing magazine last year. It’s available in their Etsy shop as a PDF if you missed out on it. There is also a top version and a sleeve tie option with this pattern. This is an easy dress to wear and sew! There’s no darts so fitting was simple and the only closure to sew is a hook and eye at the neck. I was a little worried about getting it on without a zipper but it was totally fine.
The fabric I used is a striped linen from Merchant and Mills. It was definitely a splurge but well worth it in my opinion. Those colors are so perfect! And it’s really comfortable to wear, especially in the heat. I had fun playing around with the direction of the stripes and really like how it turned out. Do I even need to mention that I love the pockets? So handy for keeping my phone in.
I was in Disneyworld last week and enjoyed wearing this around Magic Kingdom. I also made a floral set of ears to pair with it. I was so proud of myself for wearing me-mades the entire trip! I took photos of nearly every outfit. Maybe I’ll do a round up post of them all.
So happy with this dress. I definitely will be making this pattern again in the future.
This make was inspired by RTW. I saw a Sezane tank that I absolutely loved. It had a large bow on one shoulder and was so cute for summer! The problem? the price tag. I realized I could easily make something similar. I sewed a Sew Over It silk cami in this beautiful pale pink and mustard gingham linen from Merchant and Mills, (appropriately named Wes as it’s fitting for a Wes Anderson film.) This fabric was a splurge but absolutely worth it. I only bought one meter and it was just enough for this project.
I made a Sew Over It Silk Cami last year but I made adjustments to the pattern this time. I found it to be a little snug under the arms so I graded it about a half size larger. I also decided to raise the neckline and remove the curve from the hem. I ended up having to cut off some of the length and re-hem it after taking photos of it the first time. The proportions were off and it wouldn’t easily tuck. I used the scrap I cut off to make a matching headband!
So for the bow, I sewed a long strip of fabric and tied it to the shoulder. Thats it. SO simple. I love that I have the option to untie it and have the tank be more plain if I want to layer it under something. I thought I would have to attach it with a tack stitch but it stayed on nicely without it! I definitely will be adding shoulder ties to some other makes in the future.