Sewing

Selkie Lin

FF294E39-D4EA-47CF-88A2-2276FA72AC97

I’m excited to share my Selkie Lin play suit today! I bought this pattern as soon as it came out last year. It has a square neckline, princess seamed bodice, 3 sleeve and 3 pant length options. I used a pink linen from Joanns and a coordinating Lyocell to line the bodice (and back the waist ties because I ran out of fabric. You absolutely need the fabric requirements. Oops!) This linen reminded me of one of one of the samples used on Selkies page. There’s a lot of nice details in this pattern and I thought a solid fabric would really let them show.

494021EF-E801-428B-B0DE-08691FBFEFCA4F779067-86C4-4154-AED8-3B02A14E67EB

I was a little concerned about fitting the bodice. The front has princess seams and the back has four darts. I almost made a muslin but just decided to go for it. There was enough ease in the pattern and a lot of seams if I needed to make any adjustments afterward. I made the smallest size and graded up slightly around my waist. I got very lucky because I think it’s pretty good!

410D718F-3316-46FC-AAE3-D0922A8D54D23D05E4D6-DE2D-472F-AEB0-44C511E2B80D

The sleeve cuffs have non functional buttons on them. I used some small white flower ones I had in my stash. I realized after editing these photos that I put one of the sleeve cuffs on backwards. It will be pretty simple to fix.

3330F2FC-D645-435B-8EBE-C7BA24E36B1C00C0DB6D-1AAA-4EA2-B01D-B8CB52DF8863

I wore this all day on Saturday and it was so comfortable in the heat. I definitely think it will get worn a lot this summer. I’d like to make a pant length version of this eventually, maybe for next spring. This was my first Selkie pattern and I am very impressed!

83AC9004-5820-4BE7-BACD-8CCA5A92DBAA

Sewing

The Eden Set

5D32B0F4-3054-438E-ABD0-6554823CF632

I know what I’m going to be wearing all summer! I love this dress so much. It’s the Eden Set that came with a Simply Sewing magazine last year. It’s available in their Etsy shop as a PDF if you missed out on it.  There is also a top version and a sleeve tie option with this pattern. This is an easy dress to wear and sew! There’s no darts so fitting was simple and the only closure to sew is a hook and eye at the neck. I was a little worried about getting it on without a zipper but it was totally fine.

470B9CA7-014D-43BD-8DF9-46E605453E2C63B71EB9-C612-4E0F-8ED2-2329E05D5177

The fabric I used is a striped linen from Merchant and Mills. It was definitely a splurge but well worth it in my opinion. Those colors are so perfect! And it’s really comfortable to wear, especially in the heat. I had fun playing around with the direction of the stripes  and really like how it turned out. Do I even need to mention that I love the pockets? So handy for keeping my phone in.

EB4D56A0-1383-4DC0-A4EB-EC3657F33B5B655C76B1-6AD7-4354-9686-8C74400F08DE

I was in Disneyworld last week and enjoyed wearing this around Magic Kingdom. I also made a floral set of ears to pair with it. I was so proud of myself for wearing me-mades the entire trip! I took photos of nearly every outfit. Maybe I’ll do a round up post of them all.

So happy with this dress. I definitely will be making this pattern again in the future.

EEC050F3-AA07-4EB0-93A8-0B2E4E5FF56A

Sewing

Put A Bow On It

A1D5BB12-2909-42ED-9CE7-DB1FD4C2A2021A2CE64B-AC8C-4C5E-A189-9789D10498ED

This make was inspired by RTW. I saw a Sezane tank that I absolutely loved. It had a large bow on one shoulder and was so cute for summer! The problem? the price tag. I realized I could easily make something similar. I sewed a Sew Over It silk cami in this beautiful pale pink and mustard gingham linen from Merchant and Mills, (appropriately named Wes as it’s fitting for a Wes Anderson film.) This fabric was a splurge but absolutely worth it. I only bought one meter and it was just enough for this project.2460B513-A162-45F1-996D-5B62F837CF4E

I made a Sew Over It Silk Cami last year but I made adjustments to the pattern this time. I found it to be a little snug under the arms so I graded it about a half size larger. I also decided to raise the neckline and remove the curve from the hem. I ended up having to cut off some of the length and re-hem it after taking photos of it the first time. The proportions were off and it wouldn’t easily tuck. I used the scrap I cut off to make a matching headband!A06FFDB7-D977-4F85-A1AF-8FB8B8E267EF

51E319BD-9A51-46D9-8572-62FC56AB28E6

So for the bow, I sewed a long strip of fabric and tied it to the shoulder. Thats it. SO simple. I love that I have the option to untie it and have the tank be more plain if I want to layer it under something. I thought I would have to attach it with a tack stitch but it stayed on nicely without it! I definitely will be adding shoulder ties to some other makes in the future.