Outfit · Sewing

York Pinafore

1E954A2E-A3D3-4C59-A92C-1EF4DB1923BA

I’m excited to share my Helens Closet York Pinafore today! It’s no secret I love a pinafore. I have quite a few in my closet. I love how easily I can create different looks with just changing the top underneath. I’m feeling overwhelmed by the amount of clothes I have lately and how few I actually enjoy wearing. Pieces that I can get more wear out of are important to me. I’m planning on reading the Curated Closet in the New Year and really focus on getting my wardrobe where I want it to be.

The York has multiple styles that can be mixed and matched- there’s 2 lengths, two necklines and patch pockets or a kangaroo pocket. I went with the short length, higher neckline and the patch pockets.

I used this amazing bow print corduroy I got from Sew Over It (it’s sold out now!). I only had a meter because I was planning to make a skirt but I was so excited when I realized it was enough for this. There’s only three pattern pieces which makes this quick to cut out. I did spend time pattern matching on the pockets, though. The arms and neck are faced with bias tape. I used store bought because I was short on time but I wish I had made my own. The pattern calls for double fold bias tape but single fold works as well. I would recommend using single fold if you go the store bought route. The double fold is a little too thick in my opinion and I honestly am considering re- facing the whole thing.

There’s not much fitting involved in this pattern. I used the size chart and my measurements and am happy with it. There’s no fasteners or closures on this garment so it just slips over your head.

29932107-181C-43EA-87A5-37E3FF546729

I wore it to go get our Christmas tree and it was comfy layered with a turtle neck and tights. I definitely recommend this pattern. In fact, I have another cut out already! The next one will be in flannel with the lower neckline and same length. I’m hoping I have time to sew it up soon.

ABA92B7D-D26D-4934-859C-EE2ACAA70D14D802F1C2-5049-40FE-AAF8-E193725296BF

Outfit · Sewing

Tilly and the Buttons Cleo

DDF13F94-BAF2-40F5-AB92-02373EDF40A0

I’ve had this Cleo pattern in my stash all summer and finally made one! This pattern seems to be a favorite among the sewing community and I can definitely see why. I’m a big fan of dresses this style as I already have 2 RTW ones in my wardrobe. It was an easy and fairly quick make. I made mine out of a medium to heavy weight navy blue corduroy. I knew this would be a good basic. I made the shorter version and I only used one pocket in the front.

I paired it with a newly made Freya top from her book Stretch. How cute is this fabric from Joann’s with the little foxes?! I’m a little disappointed because the description said heather grey but when the fabric arrived it was definitely a light blueish green.

I am positive I will be making more Cleo’s.  Have you made this pattern?

777EA3E2-8D1A-4618-A9E2-B70D7EDA241F9F8F7BFB-0755-4EAA-A42C-CF8B7DE6CD1311419F68-7EC9-4FBF-884E-1A17A6B71215617417DB-D729-4F33-A7AD-1192187FEAE3

Outfit · Sewing

Seamwork Leonora- scalloped version!

E0ADF711-A6D4-4960-9024-13B542696C3A

I am SO excited about this skirt! This is my second Seamwork Leonora and I made some changes to the pattern- a scalloped hem and a rounded tab. I bought a remnant of this rust corduroy from Finch Fabrics. This color is so perfect for fall. This pattern is great because you don’t need a lot of fabric, just about a yard! I was inspired to make these changes when I saw a similar skirt on Instagram. I didn’t check but I’m sure it was way out of my price range. One of the best things about making your own clothes is that you can recreate designer pieces for a fraction of the price!

F72A44F1-CA20-475C-8DF4-4737EE08F4352881112B-E76E-457B-BDBA-1E1D85B854CD

As you can see, I opted for regular tortoise buttons instead of metal denim buttons like I did on my last. Those denim buttons were a nightmare on my last one. I can’t believe none of them have fallen off.

I planned on doing a tutorial on the scalloped hem but unfortunately I wasn’t as good as documenting the process as I thought. I pretty much recreated the process of the deer and Doe Chataigne shorts hem. I’ll do my best to explain what I did… I didn’t stitch the bottom of the front facing as it is instructed. I instead created a facing unit, finished one edge and attached it to the hem of the skirt. (Right sides together).  I made guidelines on the top and bottom of the facing and drew in scallops by tracing something round (my blush compact). I left 5/8” from the edge of the top front skirt to start my first scallop. and made sure the last scallop ended where the first one starts (5/8” plus width of front facing). This way when the skirt is on and closed, the scallops are continuous. I (slowly!) stitched along my lines, trimmed my seam allowances and turned the facing to the inside. Make sure you don’t stitch too high in between your scallops or they won’t turn right. I then folded the edges at the front facing and hand stitched it closed. I decided to top stitch along the edge of the scallops so I don’t have to worry about them turning at all.  I hope that all made sense!

31631F31-F972-439B-8DEC-39365012EB36.jpeg

FCA43DE9-9C2F-43CB-8016-1C2E00D846B1219DB565-51C9-4526-B036-967F508722BB