I made the Pauline Alice Mirambell Skirt over the weekend. I’m very happy with the skirt and I know it’s going to get a lot of wear. I said I wanted to sew more basics and a denim skirt is a wardrobe staple! I was so frustrated making this skirt because I thought so many instructions were missing. Turns out I had it open on my computer so I could only see half of them. Such a silly mistake! It was a good test, though. Turns out I did everything correctly!
As far as the actual pattern, the only issue I had was that the waistband was at least 3 inches too short. I thought maybe I made a cutting error or made my pleats too large, but I really don’t see how I cut both waistband pieces separately wrong. Plus, all of the other pieces matched up with how I did my pleats. I had already interfaced, stitched and topstiched my waistband so the last thing I felt like doing was cutting a new waistband and starting over. I just added a little scrap to each end. It’s a little weird but I don’t think it’s really noticeable and it’s even on both sides so I’m just calling it part of the design.
I definitely recommend using an edge foot on your machine for a good portion of this skirt. I did a lot of topstiching and it made it so easy. I topstiched the top of the waistband and the edge of pockets even though it wasn’t instructed for a really clean finish. The pleats all need to be topstiched for this skirt as well as the bottom edge of the pocket facings.
The verdict: I’m very happy with this skirt. The fit is nice and I like the style. I just need to add a hook and eye to the top of the zipper because I noticed it is splitting at the top in these photos. If I make another one I’ll have to pay more attention to the length of the waistband and see what my mistake was!